Monday, December 20, 2010

20 of 25!

  Today's activity was Papa's Candy!  For years, my aunt LaVerne made Martha Washington candy every Christmas for my dad.  When she passed away over 10 years ago, I vowed to keep up with the tradition.  If you thought the Puppy Chow was heart-stopping, take a look at this stuff!  I honestly do not think I have ever had anything as rich or as full of calories.  There is a reason my dad only gets this stuff once a year! 
Melted Chocolate!

Two pounds of powdered sugar!



Very sticky!



My aunt had a talent for making the prettiest ones!  It is not a talent of mine, but my dad always says it does not matter because they taste just right!  I will take that!


We started our morning at the doctor for Logan.  The doctor is not sure what he as, it could be a just a bad cold.  One thing we did learn is that his tonsils are most likely going to have to come out.  I am not thrilled about this, but I am hoping that it will cut down on the amount infections he seems to get.  About every 3 or 4 months I take him in for the same thing, a sore throat and fever.  They always do a strep test, and it is always negative. This time, his tonsils are so enlarged that they almost touch and they are bleeding (so awful). And, the last three times it has not even been a sinus infection which is usually the culprit. So, another baffling and frustrating day.  I brought him home and gave meds to make him more comfortable. That seemed to help a lot and give him some of his energy. He felt well enough to take pictures of today's activity, help me do some dusting and welcome a favorite visitor! As for Maddi, she seems to be coming around.  The Prozac has calmed her, and she has not thrown up anymore.  The vet called and said her blood work was great, so back to square one with the dog!  Thanks, by the way, for all of your sweet comments.  Hopefully, all will be well very soon!



Love that determination!

We also want to say thanks to Miss Sheri for being brave enough to stop by for a visit!  The boys were sooo excited to see you, and it made Logan's day better!  We appreciate the very thoughtful gifts, and they love their new Lego additions!


Luke's mouth is covered in strawberries!


Both out by 7:30, and we did not even have to fight them! Hoping you have a sick free Christmas!

Martha Washington Candy:
12 oz. pecans
1 stick butter
1 can Eagle Brand Milk
2 lbs. powdered sugar (that is not a typo!)
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
1 pkg. coconut
1/4 lb. Gulfwax
2 pkgs. milk chocolate chips (I usually add about another half to full package)

1) Mix pecans, butter, Eagle Brand, powdered sugar, vanilla and coconut.
2) In double boiler or crock pot (this works so much better, I melted and then kept on "warm" setting for dipping), melt the wax and chocolate.
3) Roll mixture into small balls and dip in chocolate mixture. 
4) Drop each piece on wax paper to cool. 
It will not take long for the candy to set up, then you can transfer it to tins or containers.  I always store in the fridge! You can also make the mix and store in the freezer to dip later!

1 comment:

  1. So sorry your sweet boy is sick :o( Hopefully he will feel better after a good night's sleep.

    ReplyDelete