Wednesday, January 19, 2011

What to read!

I just finished this lovely book that my mom gave me for Christmas!
The Bush family and I go way back, well, they don't actually know me, but as native Texans, we share something special.  They are both from Midland, and I was born in Amarillo, so I can totally relate to her description of the weather in that part of Texas. Also, I actually remember waving at George when he was governor of Texas.  I was a freshman at Baylor, and that was the year that they held their first dance on campus. So, media from all over the country and the governor all showed up to watch a bunch of Baptist try and dance.  It also happens that Bush Sr. opened his library on A&M campus after I transferred from Baylor! They seemed to follow me everywhere, so we have a special bond! At any rate, I really liked to hear about her experience as the First Lady.  It was refreshing to read about what she was seeing as everything unfolded not only in the 8 years Bush was in office but also the time that Bush Sr. was in office.  She has certainly spent a great deal of time in the White House and in the political arena.  I can't imagine what that must be like on a daily basis.  I thought the book was well written and honest. I especially liked to hear her account of what George was dealing with as some of the country's and world's most tragic events occurred during his time in office.  He endured a lot of criticism and still does for the way he handled some of those events, but I truly believe that he did what had to be done especially with 9/11.  It could not have been easy to be the one responsible for sending troops overseas knowing that so many would not return. While there were a lot of things I loved reading about in the book, this is one of my favorite quotes, "And I wondered if Barack Obama, who spent far more time attacking George than he did his opponent, John McCain, would want to amend his words once he discovered the reality of the White House and was himself confronted by the challenges and crises that hit a president every day, all day."  Anyway, I highly recommend it.  My mom also gave us George's autobiography, but I have something else on the agenda for the time being...

...a friend let me borrow this book after my account of Bubba's behavior lately!  Thanks to Stephanie for helping me out!

Another friend lent me this next one.  It will be nice to take a break from politics and hard-headed kids for a piece of fiction!  Thanks Sharon!

I will report back in a year when I am able to get them both read and give my recommendations!

Here is a pic of the boys trying to find their next read! 



Happy reading!

1 comment:

  1. I am a BIG fan of George W. Bush. I really want to read his book. I may have to ready Laura's too. That is a great quote.

    ReplyDelete