Friday, September 24, 2010

Who'd thunk it?!

We were at a birthday party a couple of weekends ago when I ran into a friend of mine.  I noticed that her precious little boy who is about 2 years old was wearing a small beaded necklace.  I mentioned that I loved the color and asked if it had some significance (they are from Jamaica, so I thought maybe it was from the island). "It is amber," she said, as if I had a clue what she was talking about. It must have been apparent in my facial expression that I was clueless, so she told me that she put it on him because he had a rash and pain from teething and that amber is known to relieve pain and inflammation; the oils absorb into the skin and heal a number of issues.  She told me that they sell them in drug stores there and that a lot of children wear them for a lot of different reasons, but that her son in particular wore it for a rash and that it disappeared within a few days.  I was floored by this and decided I needed to look into it more because Luke has dealt with excema since he was an infant.  So, in doing more research, I learned that amber can help with a list of common skin issues, lack of energy, headaches and more.  I immediately looked for a place in Charlotte to get some, and found them easily. So, long story short, Luke has been wearing one around his ankle for about 2 weeks, and I have to say that this is the first time since he was tiny that he is excema free! I wish now that I had taken before pictures, but I honestly did not think that it would make such a dramatic difference.  We have bathed him in a lot of different things, tried creams and lotions including several perscription ointments, and nothing has cleared it up like this.  I have to say that I am stunned! I have also put one on Logan hoping that it will help with his sinus issues and got one for me for sinus and headaches (I would put one on Lyndon, too, if he would wear it).  At a mere $20 a pop, I have to say that it is one of the best investments thus far! 


The back of his knees were awful.  They stayed red and irritated all of the time. This is the clearest we have seen them in over two years.

Inside his elbows were the worst.  He would scratch them in his sleep until they bled!  All cleared up now!

2 comments:

  1. That is a major improvement, poor guy was always red on his legs! Where did you get these at? I wonder if Abby would wear them?!

    ReplyDelete