Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Apple Butter!

Here is my first batch of apple butter.  This batch included 20 granny smith apples, 4 cups of sugar and 3 teaspoons of cinnamon.  I peeled and cored the apples, cut them all into small pieces and split the batch into two so I could fit them all into two large crock pots.  I also split the sugar and cinnamon in two and added them all to the two batches of apples.  I put my crock pots on low heat and let them cook for about 10 hours stiring throughout the day. One of my crock pots cooks faster than then other, so 10 hours was just right.  The other one required about another hour with the lid off.

 I typically just eat or give away the finished batches, but this time I really wanted to try and preserve some for later.  Freezing it only ensures it will be good for three months, so this way I have some stored for at least a year.  This was my first attempt at sealing the jars.  I do not have the fancy pressure cooker, so I just got out the biggest pot I had, made sure there was enough water to cover the top of the sealed jars and put a dish rag at the bottom and in between the jars to keep them from breaking. Then I boiled for 20 minutes. Two did fine, but the other two did not seal properly...oh well, more to eat or give away this time.  I was very excited that two actually worked, so I considered it a success! On to apple sauce tomorrow!





This stuff is great on toast or biscuits!

1 comment:

  1. I've never tried making Apple Butter. I know I will be trying it out this fall.

    ReplyDelete