Saturday, December 3, 2011

Day 3

Day 3 of our 25 was making our almost famous Martha Washington candy.  This candy recipe has been passed down for several generations, and is my dad's absolute favorite candy.  My aunt used to make it for him every year, but I continued the tradition after she passed.  She used to make a tin of these every year and ship them to my dad around Christmas.  So, the boys and I made some tonight to drop in the mail for him this week!  There is NOTHING healthy about this treat.  It calls for sweetened condensed milk and 2 pounds of powdered sugar among butter, coconut and pecans dipped in chocolate!  It is just ridiculous, but there is nothing like it!  I am sure that is why my aunt only made it once a year! 





I will also tell you that mine look really awful.  My aunt had the magic touch, and they looked as perfect as they tasted.  I have the taste down, but my don't look near as pretty!  I would like to tell you that in time, I will perfect it.  However, I have been making these for about 10 years now, and they have not improved.  I only wish I knew her secret! The recipe is below if you so desire to make them!  It is an easy recipe to follow, but it takes a lot of time and patience with the melted chocolate.  I highly recommend a crock pot rather than a double boiler!  




No comments:

Post a Comment