Saturday, August 8, 2015

Patio Project!

We finally decided that we needed to do something to our backyard to make it more user-friendly:-) As you can see from the pic below, it was very rocky and difficult to walk on. After weeks of questions and looking through options, we decided to go with pavers. Pavers aren't cemented in which allows them to move and be moved as the ground changes and the roots from our trees grow. I loved the end result!





We also added some small shrubs behind the wall with flowers that would brighten it up:-) They are difficult to see in the pic, but I am hoping they will take over soon so you can see them better!



We also needed to do something under our big shade tree because nothing grows under it which means it stays muddy all of the time. We covered it up with a ton of mulch and added a picnic table for the kids.






And, over on the other side of the yard, we added more pavers, and I am trying to grow honeysuckle along the fence. The trellis is homemade, just in case you hadn't figured it out:-) 


Pallets from my pallet connection and chicken wire.


We also had a bunch of pavers leftover, and we made a flower box and put plants in it that are supposed to attract butterflies, bees and humming birds! It is working on the bees and moths, but I am hoping with a little time, those humming birds and butterflies will find them too.



I also added some random stuff in along the tree line just for fun!
I found this fruit basket at Goodwill, lined it with moss and straw. Then I added some plants on the bottom two and left the top open. Not sure if a bird will want it for a nest, but that is the hope:-)

I also lined this with moss and straw and put a small potted ivy in it. 

And my fav creation so far is this copper flower. When the guys were here digging up the yard, they found a copper pipe that (we hope) wasn't being used for anything. I managed to clean it with a recipe I found on Pinterest for cleaning copper using vinegar and baking soda and scrubbed it with am S.O.S pad. I wasn't sure what I wanted to do with it until I found this old cake mold at the Habitat ReStore. I put a hole in the middle with Lyndon's drill and attached the pipe with super glue and found a black, rubber stopper in the garage (again, hoping it doesn't go to anything important) and glued it in the middle. I was pretty happy with it, and I put it in the butterfly garden. Here is to hoping it holds up to the rain and wind!

Last but not least is my attempt at a straw bale garden! So, a friend's mom has an awesome bale garden in NC. I saw a picture and fell in love with the idea. My dog and kids won't step on it, and it is supposed to be great from veggies. I had to do a little research, but I finally got it figured out, and here is my first try...
I planted some cucumbers, squash and peppers only because it is late in the growing season. Not sure how everything will do at this point because it is miserably hot, but so far nothing has died. I will update you soon so you can see how we are coming along. In the spring, I will do more bales, but I had to try it out now just to see what the fuss was all about! I will let you know if it is a success or miserable failure:-)

Happy August!








No comments:

Post a Comment