Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Bird Watching!

We have a sweet little cardinal nest in one of the bushes right outside our back window.  I knew it was in the bush, but I did not realize we had such an incredible view until I raised the blinds the other day and saw the mama sitting there looking back at me!

Sorry about the quality, but it is tough to get a good one through screen.  I actually thought of taking off the screen, but it would require I get way to close to the nest.  I don't want to take the chance of hitting it.  I have been able to get some nice close-ups of the baby from outside, though. Baby birds are just ugly! 


It has been pretty incredible to watch the mama feed the baby, but we got a real show today when the daddy showed up!  I read some facts about cardinals.  Apparently, they are monogamous and usually lay three eggs per season.  There were two eggs in this nest, but only one hatched. The female cardinal is one of the few female birds that sing.  She usually does it from the nest to tell the male to bring food. I am guessing that bringing food to this baby is the ONLY thing the mom and dad do because I have been watching them most of the afternoon, and they have taken turns constantly feeding this one baby...I can relate.

I

No comments:

Post a Comment